Erin works as a Senior Data Scientist at Uncommon Schools where she trains coworkers in R as well as maintaining two R packages. Prior to Uncommon, she worked as a Data Scientist at Crisis Text Line and a software programmer at NASA while completing her Data Science degrees at Columbia University. Before data science, Erin researched star formation and taught introductory courses in astronomy and physics at the University of Maryland.
- MS Data Science (Columbia University) 2016
- MS Astronomy (University of Maryland) 2014
- BS Physics & Astronomy (University of Maryland) 2011
Uncommon Schools (Data Scientist)
- Produced high-quality analytics work around student and staff data, including prediction models around student state exams, student enrollment, and staff recruitment.
- Lead 6+ group trainings on the R programming language for 10+ coworkers Automated manual state exam reporting process saving 6+ hours of processing time
Crisis Text Line (Data Scientist)
- Working at Crisis Text Line as a Data Scientist. You can read about my transition to Data Science at Crisis Text Line here.
- Built and shipped a new volunteer application which has been used by 7600 applicants. Increased the completion rate from 40% to 90%.
- My work has focused on identifying drop off points for trainers and supervisors. I produced cohort reports of training metrics and identified key differences among cohorts to provide trainers with new solutions. I identified counselor churn as the largest organizational priority, and setup tracking, reporting, and analysis of key metrics.
Determining the formation mechanism for pillar structures found on the rims of HII regions
- Worked with Dr. Marc Pound and Dr. Lee Mundy at University of Maryland College Park.
- My poster from the 2013 CARMA Symposium.
- Master thesis available at request.
- Collected images from the ultraviolet telescope aboard NASA's swift satellite in order to form the final mosaic.
- Worked with Dr. Stefan Immler at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center.
Analyzing the Star Formation of Galaxies in the MIDGET survey with Dr. Alberto Bolatto
- I've been a teacher's assistant for several introductory astronomy classes and a physics tutor for friends.
- Proficient in R, SQL and Python. Most of my past experience is in IDL and shell scripts. Learning SQL
I am not currently teaching. Check out my teaching information for information on what I've taught in the past.
- packagemetrics - Helping you choose a package since runconf17
- A Q & A with Erin Grand, Data Scientist at Crisis Text Line
- Tamer Center for Social Enterprise Summer Fellowship Interview
- Swift Makes Best-ever Ultraviolet Portrait of Andromeda Galaxy